Cheap Removals: How to save on your removals in 2018?
When it comes to cheap removals you need to be well prepared, which is why we’ve created this page to help you save some money. Moving house is a stressful and time consuming process and the costs of removals can slowly add up!
You can already start saving money now, even if you’ve not even begun to start thinking about moving. There are several things that you can do from selling your items to just being organised! This section provides advice that will help you save money before you’ve even moved!
Organisation is key!
The best way to move on the cheap is to plan well in advance and be organised. Although this is a lot of work initially, in the long run it makes moving so much less stressful and cheaper. You can have a look at our moving checklist for some ideas on making your move easier. We recommend that you plan your move at least two months in advance and that you start to prepare yourself even sooner.
Out with the old, in with the new
Secondly, getting rid of any belongings that you don’t want to take with you can help you save a lot of money. This is because removal companies will calculate the cost of your move based, not only on the distance, but also by the volume you want to move. You can use our volume calculator, which can save time when requesting quotes. Here are a few simple ways you can get rid of your belongings:
- Garage or car boot sales
- Websites such as Amazon or eBay.
- Donating is also a good option. Even by donating them you are saving money as you’re spending less on the cost of removals and you can feel good about donating to a good cause.
Utilise your utilities
Another great tip is to make a note as to when your utilities will run out of date. It is unlikely that your move date will be the same as the date all your utility bills are due and I’m sure you won’t want to pay for them once you’ve moved out! So think about whether there are any services that you can live without for a few days or weeks. Obviously you’ll need water and electricity, but you may be able to live without Wi-Fi and a TV subscription for a while. It’s time for that digital detox you’ve always been saying you’ll have!
When it comes to moving house cheaply, one of the first things that you can do to cut costs is try to move house yourself. Moving yourself means that you save money on packing, loading and transport, which are the biggest expenses when moving. This section explains some tips on renting vans and the best way to save time and money on packing!
Tips on Moving By Yourself
Here are some things to consider if you’re going to move yourself:
- Make sure you use one van that you can pack all of your belongings into in one go. You don’t want to have the added stress of going back and forth, as this will take a lot longer!
- Moving house is a tiring process. So, make sure that the people you ask to help you can do some heavy lifting! At least two extra helpers to do the lifting and two more to help packing the boxes will make a good sized ‘removal team’. Just remember to consider the cost of getting the drinks in as a way to say thanks!
- If you want to move more than a two bedroom house, then ask yourself if you really have the time, energy and discipline to organise a move across the country. Often the saving isn’t worth the extra effort. For cheap removals, there is no harm in requesting removal quotes as they is no obligation and are completely free!
Renting a van
The main costs to consider when it comes to moving by yourself is the transport costs. Unless you’re close friends with someone who owns a van, the likelihood is that you will have to rent one.
Companies such as Enterprise and Europcar offer vans. Obviously the price of the van you want to rent takes into account a number of factors such as size and demand. As a rough guide, if you’re 26 or over you can expect to pay around £30 for renting a van of 6cbm for the day and around £35 to rend a van of 12cbm. This price doesn’t include insurance which costs around £10 extra.
It may be a better idea for you to look into Man & Van services, where you literally rent a van and some extra help, as they are the better alternatives for cheap removals. Take a look at our House Removals page for some removal companies within your region.
Cheap Packing Materials
You’ll need more boxes than you think when moving house. Although you can buy boxes, either in store or on websites such as Amazon, there are many ways to get them for free!.
- If any of your friends have moved house recently and don’t need their boxes
- Local supermarkets or restaurants usually have boxes that they’re about to throw out.
Although it is wise to get the best packing materials that you can afford, there are some cheap hacks that you can do when it comes to moving abroad. Wrapping certain delicate objects in newspapers, blankets or thick jumpers is a good way to save on bubble wrap, but use your judgement and do this at your own risk.
Tips on Packing
The process of packing boxes yourself is the most time consuming part of moving. It is also one of the most crucial parts as getting it right can make the process so much easier. It’s wise to start in advance to reduce the stress of doing it all last minute.
- Label your boxes – there are a number of ways to do this. You can label them by room, write down what’s in the box or even colour code each room with tape.
- Protect your belongings – use bubble wrap, towels or clothes. The important thing is for your items to arrive at your new home in the same condition when they left your old one.
- Make the boxes lift-able – Don’t pack boxes so that you they’re so heavy you can’t pick them up! Boxes also have a breaking point, if the contents are too heavy they will break.
- Fill the spaces – This makes sure that things don’t wiggle around. This is how delicate items can break!
As a side note – be sure to check your insurance. Moves are often covered in home insurance, but only if they are packed by professionals. Therefore, we suggest that you take out additional insurance if you have to
There are ways of moving cheaply even with a removals company. If you’re moving a lot of things or simply don’t have the time to plan moving yourself then a removals firm is also a good option. In many cases it won’t cost significantly more than moving by yourself. However, when moving cheaply through removal companies, you still need to be smart about how to save money.
How to choose a cheap removals company
The biggest tip that we can give you when trying to find cheap removals, is to shop around! Make sure you request multiple quotes. One of the ways that you can do this is to use Sirelo’s online quote form to compare the price and service of different companies. You can also take a look at our removal costs page for an idea of how much it will cost to move within the country.
Timings are crucial
The timing of your move is crucial to the price. Although you may not expect it, the removals industry is seasonal. The cheapest time to move in the UK is between January and March. Furthermore, you should try to avoid moving on weekends, school holidays and bank holidays. This is the case year round so be sure to plan in advance to avoid paying a premium price.
The earlier you start to plan something the more you will save. You won’t be pressured into whatever is left. The same is true for how long you are able to wait, if you need to get things fast then you’ll likely pay more than being flexible with the delivery time.
Split a container or lorry
Certain companies save money by pooling resources. So, if there are smaller moves going between nearby cities at similar times then you can find a company that shares a lorry for different loads. Although this is cheaper, you are trading speed and flexibility so if there is anything you need urgently on the other end of your move make sure that you have other arrangements in place.
Whether or not it is possible for you to share a move depends on the volume of things that you want to move. Normally you can only share a move if you are moving a small amount of things and are not close to filling the lorry.
Removals company offer extra services in order to make your life easier. Unfortunately, these come with added costs. The most common extra services are:
- Renting a storage unit
If you want to save then you can try to do these yourselves. Although there is a technique to packing, it isn’t rocket science and the same goes for reassembling furniture. Just be conscience about insurance and also if you need to move your household into storage.