22 Moving Hacks To Make Your Life Easier
The mere thought of packing all your belongings into boxes just to be taken out again shortly after sounds like a nightmare. People will say “start early”, “stay organised and you’ll be fine”, but we all know you won’t. You either don’t have enough time, or you’re just too lazy to do it. Don’t worry everyone does it. Luckily, we have found 22 hacks to help make your move that little bit easier.
1. Pack an essential box
Pack a bag with everything you must have on a regular basis so you don’t have to unpack everything as soon as you arrive.
2. Socks in shoes
Save space by placing socks in your shoes. It also keep your shoes from losing their shape.
3. Bags over hangers
Grab a bin or recycling bag and slide it over clothes on hangers.
4. Label your boxes
Label what’s inside and what room the boxes need to go to on the exterior of the box.
5. Buy some IKEA bags
They’re lightweight but tough!
6. Don’t buy food a week before moving
Try and use up everything in the fridge to reduce the number of things you have to move.
7. Donate or sell the stuff you don’t want, need or use
It’s better if you donate your things to charity instead of throwing them away. You can also donate food!
8. Use sandwich bags to store small parts of things you take apart
It’s a good way of not losing those important screws.
9. Add handles to boxes by poking or cutting them
Make sure they are strong enough to do so before you start cutting all of them.
10. Vacuum seal your out-of-season clothes
It will save space and they can also go directly into storage in your new home.
11. Defrost the fridge a night or two before
You don’t want that wet, mouldy smell from the fridge, especially if you’re moving it into your new place.
12. Take a photo of how your electrical products are connected
This can save loads of time, especially if you just want to watch some TV.
13. Stick plates vertically, like records
They’ll be less likely to break.
14. Place plastic wrap over the opening of your toiletries, then screw the cap back on
This helps prevent your toilets from leaking.
15. Give your children their own boxes filled with their favourite things and let them decorate it
It keeps them out the way on this busy day.
16. Use toilet paper tubes to keep wires and cables organised
At least you won’t have to deal with all those tangled wires then.
17. Wrap breakables in clothing to save on bubble wrap
Reduces the number of boxes you need to carry and gives your things extra protection!
18. Pack your glasses in socks to add extra padding
Just make sure the socks are clean.
19. Try and pre-clean your new bathroom and kitchen
Put up your shower curtain, place some towels and toilet paper. You’ll want to take a relaxing bath after a stressful day of moving.
20. Cut down on boxes by using suitcases, laundry bags, etc.
It’s pointless buying loads of boxes for one move. It’s not very eco-friendly either.
21. Number your boxes
Give your rooms a group of numbers for example, bedroom 1-10 etc. You’ll know where to take them without opening them up and it will also notify you if you’ve lost one.
22. Roll clothes, don’t fold them
Folding clothes is so 2016.
There you have it. 22 hacks to help your move go a little bit smoother. Sit back, relax and enjoy your new home.