Top 10 Universities in Canada
Canada is in many ways an amazing place to study. It is not for nothing one of the wealthiest and most developed countries in the world and the quality of life is simply good. It is cheaper to study in Canada compared to the USA. Moreover, the enrollment process is easier and there is a bigger chance to live in Canada permanently. Here below you will find the top 10 universities in Canada. The ranking numbers are a little flexible since some sources may rank the universities a bit differently. However, most sources agree that the following universities are some of the highest ranking universities in Canada as well as worldwide.
1. University of Toronto
The University of Toronto was founded in 1827 and is located in Canada’s largest city. It has 3 campuses, one in Mississauga, one in downtown Toronto st. George and the last in Scarborough. The university is famed for its research innovations and has done notable research into insulin and stem cell treatment. The university ranks in the top fifties of different world ranking universities’ lists.
- University of Toronto ranked 22 in THE (time higher education) world ranking 2017.
- Ranked 27 in ARWU (Academic ranking of world universities) 2016.
- Ranked 32 in QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) world ranking 2016.
The University of Toronto offers 700 programs of study and is said to be one of the best in the world for medicine. It has a total enrollment of 86,706 students, of which 15, 931 are international students. It is also a big source of income for the Canadian economy and has contributed a whopping 15.7 billion Canadian dollars to it. The university offers graduate and professional programs as well as postdoctoral fellowships. These are the reasons why this University is on the first spot of our top 10 universities in Canada list.
2. McGill University
The McGill University, founded in 1821 is located in Montreal in the francophone province of Quebec. The main campus is at the base of Mount Royal in downtown Montreal and the second campus can be found on the MacDonald lake shore road. The University has around 40,000 students, of which 25 percent is international and prides itself on being a culturally diverse university. They have 10 faculties and 12 professional schools and offer more than 300 study programs.
The university also has the highest amount of Rhodes scholars among Canadian universities and are proud to have counted the highest number of Nobel prize winners among Canadian universities. McGill university founded its first faculty of medicine in 1829 and ranks, particularly high in world rankings of clinical subjects. With these achievements, this university deserves no less than number two on our top 10 universities in Canada list.
- McGill University ranked 42 in THE (times higher education) World ranking 2017.
- Ranked 30 in the QS (Quacquarelli Symonds).
- Ranked 63 in ARWU(Academic ranking of world universities) 2016.
3. The University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia is one of the oldest in its province and was founded in 1915. It has two campuses, one in Vancouver and one in Kelowna. The University has a total of 61,113 students, 13,189 of which are international students from over 150 countries. UBC is home to 18 Faculties, 12 Schools and 2 Colleges. This University deserves the third place on our highest ranking universities list.
UBC offers a number of scholarships for students, such as the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award for candidates from war-torn countries. moreover , the university has a joint programme with sciences PO (a higher education institute in Paris). The University proud to have counted seven Nobel prize winners and 69 Olympic medallist. Furthermore, 3 prime ministers, including the current one; Justin Trudeau graduated from this university.
- The University of British Columbia is ranked 36 in THE (times higher education) World ranking 2017.
- Ranked 45 in the QS (Quacquarelli Symonds).
- Ranked 40 in ARWU (Academic ranking of world universities) 2016.
4. The University of Alberta
Coming in the fourth place is the university of Alberta. The university of Alberta was founded in 1908 and is located in Edmonton. The university has 4 campuses in Edmonton; North campus (main campus) on the edge of the North Saskatchewan River valley, South campus is approximately a mile and one-half south of the Main Campus, Augustana Campus is an hour’s drive from Edmonton in the rural community of Camrose and Campus Saint-Jean is a short ride from North campus.
The university of Alberta enrolls around 37,830 students from 143 countries . With 71 Rhodes Scholars, it ranks third for most Rhodes scholars among universities in Canada. Canada’s first dedicated faculty for disease prevention is found in this university, moreover, its faculty of native studies is the only one of its kind in the country. The university is a major source of employment of its province and contributes annually 12.3 billion dollars to Alberta’s economy.
- The university ranks 107 THE (times higher education) world ranking 2017
- It ranks 101–150 in ARWU(Academic ranking of world universities) 2016
- The University of Alberta ranks 94 in QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) world ranking 2016.
5. Université de Montréal
The University of Montreal, founded in 1878 is the second largest university in the country in terms of student numbers. It has around 67,000 students, of which 9,300 are international students. As the name already gives away, the university is situated in Montréal which is the 2nd most important french speaking country in the world after Paris.
This university is the 1st French speaking world’s best comprehensive university, according to the Times Higher Education. The main campus of the university is located on the slope of mount royal. The university has 16 faculties and schools and two affiliate schools; Polytechnique Montréal and HEC Montréal. Furthermore, the university offers 250 undergraduate programs and 350 graduate programs. This multifaceted French university has earned its top spot in Canada and also in our top 10 universities in Canada list.
- The university of Montréal ranks 103 in THE (times higher education) world ranking 2017.
- It is ranked 101–150 in ARWU (Academic ranking of world universities) 2016.
- It ranked 126 in the QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) world ranking 2016 list.
6. MacMaster University
McMaster University established in 1887 is located in Hamilton, Ontario. The University is particularly renowned for its medical school and its arts and science program. The main campus is situated near the residential neighbourhoods of Ainslie Wood and Westdale. McMaster University has 6 facilities and has around 29000 students.
- The university is ranked 113 in the Times Higher Education world ranking 2017.
- It ranked 96 in Academic ranking of world Universities world ranking 2016.
- It ranked 149 in the Quacquarelli Symonds world ranking 2016 list.
7. University of Waterloo
University of Waterloo, founded in 1957 with only 74 students today enrols more than 36000 students. 17 percent of the undergraduate students are international and almost 40 percent of the graduate students are international. The university situated in Ontario and the main campus in Waterloo covers a 1000 acres.
It has 6 faculties and 4 affiliated and federated institutions; Conrad Grebel University college, Renison University college, st. Jerome’s University and St. Paul’s University College. The university is renowned for its cooperative education (co-op), computer science and engineering programs. Moreover the University of Waterloo was ranked 25 consecutive years as the most innovative university by Maclean’s.
- The University of Waterloo ranks 173 in the Time Higher Education world ranking 2017
- It ranks 201- 300 in the Academic ranking of world universities world 201.
- It ranks 152 in the Quacquarelli Symonds world ranking 2016 list.
8. University of Western Ontario, Western University
The University of Western Ontario, Western University is located in London Ontario. Indeed, there is also a London in Canada. The University is considered one of the most beautiful in the country and has an enrolment of about 28,864 students, representing 117 countries around the world. It was founded in 1878 and has grown since then to be the 4th largest employer in London, Ontario. It has 12 faculties and offers over 400 study programmes.
- University of western ontario, Western University ranked 201 – 250 in THE (time higher education) world ranking 2017.
- It ranked 201 – 300 in ARWU (Academic ranking of world universities) 2016.
- It ranked 226 in QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) world ranking 2016.
9. University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is a university founded in 1966. The University has 14 faculties offering more than 250 academic programs, and more than 50 research institutes and centres. The university has 5 campuses, 4 of which are in the Calgary area and 1 in Doha, Qatar. The main campus is located in Calgary’s northwest quadrant.
The University enrols around 30,000 students, of which 24,000 undergraduates and 6,000 graduate students. In terms of achievements, the University can be proud of 14 Rhodes scholars to date. Furthermore, a range of important inventions including the neurochip were invented in this university.
- The university of Calgary ranked 193 in THE (time higher education) world ranking 2017.
- It Ranked 201 – 300 in ARWU (Academic ranking of world universities) 2016.
- It Ranked 196 in QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) world ranking 2016.
10. Queen’s University
Queen’s University is located in Kingston, Ontario and is one of Canada’s oldest institutions. It is a mid-sized university established in 1841 which is 26 years before Canada itself was founded. The university offers 120 degree programmes and enrols around 22,461 students. Approximately 10 percent of the student population is international. The university ranked 4th medical doctoral universities in Canada in Mcleands 2016 university rankings.
- Queen’s University ranked 201 – 250 in THE (time higher education) world ranking 2017.
- It Ranked 201 – 300 in ARWU (Academic ranking of world universities) 2016.
- It Ranked 223 in QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) world ranking 2016.
Also read about Education in Canada.