Moving to Canada
Are you moving to Canada from the U.K and need a helping hand? If you have everything prepared and would like to know the cost, then request a removal quote. Alternatively, if you are still organising, then below you can find information on costs, visa requirements and top tips.
How much does it cost to move to Canada from the U.K?
One of the most important things you need to consider is how much your move to Canada will cost. Below we have created a table to give you an estimate of what you might have to pay. Your house removal will be the biggest expense of your move. It is important to understand how international moving costs are calculated so that you can money save in certain areas. Keep reading to discover ways of reducing your house removal cost.
|1 bed flat||4-9 weeks||£2,400 – £3,400|
|3 bed house||4-9 weeks||£5,200 – £7,000|
|5 bed house||4-9 weeks||£7,900 – £10,600|
How to save money moving to Canada?
There is no universal cost for a house move as each move is different. This is because the cost depends on many factors. We encourage you to familiarise yourself with the following factors so that you can save money on your move.
- Size of your move. Naturally, the more you want to move, the more it will cost. It can be difficult to calculate the volume of your belongings, so feel free to use our handy volume calculator! Also, you should consider selling your furniture and buying new furniture upon your arrival, it can save you money overall.
- Distance & Route: The further and the more complex the destination, the more expensive it will be. You may expect to pay a little extra for those destinations that are not part of a familiar route to removal companies.
- Time of year. Summer is the peak time of year to move house and is consequently more expensive. We recommend that you avoid this period if possible.
- Ask about container shipping costs. Ask your mover if there are ways of saving money with your shipping container.
Visas & Residency
As you are planning to move to Canada and not simply travelling there, you will need to apply for a visa. There are multiple routes to obtaining a residency visa in Canada. Below, you can hopefully find information about the scenario that applies to you. Any new immigrants in Canada can also find helpful information regarding residency and citizenship on the Canadian government website.
Are you moving to Canada as a skilled migrant?
If you would like to participate in the Canadian economy as a skilled migrant, then you will need to immigrate via Express Entry. In your application you will be assessed and given a point score based on the following factors:
- Language Ability (English and French)
- Family Members
- Work Experience
- Details on any job offer
Via family sponsorship?
It is possible for a family member who already lives in Canada to sponsor your resident permit. Your family member can sponsor you if they are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
Are you moving to Canada as an international student?
If you are accepted into a Canadian school as an international student, you can apply for a study permit. Also, once you complete your study, there is the possibility to apply for a work permit.
Are you a retiree?
The Canadian government is not incentivising people to retire to Canada from abroad. Therefore, it is a little difficult to apply for permanent residency without the intention of working. However, as a U.K national, you can travel to Canada for up to six months in the year. If you can afford to have two houses, sharing your time between both is an option. Alternatively, if you have relatives in Canada, you can apply for a family super visa which can entitle you to stay up to two years. You may also want to consult HMRC to check how moving to Canada will affect your pension.
Read our full guide to obtaining a visa in Canada for more information.
Checklist: Moving to Canada
Before your move:
- Important documents. Ensure that you have all your important documentation prepared. This includes passports, visas and work permits.
- Organise an international moving company. You should request quotes from moving companies, find the best international mover for your move and set a moving date.
- Pack. You need to decide exactly what you are going to pack. Be selective, as it is often cheaper to sell your current furniture and buy new furniture when you arrive.
- Car transport. If you plan on importing your car to Canada, you should determine if you can. More information below.
- Pets. If you have any pets you need to determine whether they meet the pet import requirements for Canada.
- Tax. You must inform HMRC if you are planning to move abroad. We recommend you get professional advice on paying tax in Canada.
When you arrive:
- Bank. When you arrive, it is advised that you open a Canadian bank account as soon as possible.
- Money transfer. It is a good idea to transfer money from your UK account to your new Canadian bank.
- Healthcare. Be sure to organise your healthcare as soon as possible. See more information below.
- Driving Licence. You can drive a car in Canada with a full UK licence.
Top Tips for Moving to Canada from the U.K
Can you bring your pet to Canada?
If you are considering to bring your pet to Canada, then you should know that there are some import requirements. The Canadian government has the right to refuse entry to any animal that does not meet the import requirements. There are rules about the following:
- Typical domestic animals: cats, dogs, birds, horses etc.
- Exotic animals
- Pet food
How does the Canadian health system work?
One of the most important things to organise once you arrive in Canada is your healthcare. The Canadian health system is very similar to the UK’s in many ways. For the most part, healthcare is free as its paid for in the taxes you pay. However, like the U.K, there are a few things you should expect to pay for:
- Drugs: You will probably have to pay for any drugs and medicine you are prescribed.
- Dentists: You should expect to pay for dental care.
- Optician: You should expect to pay for any care from opticians.
When you arrive in Canada, you should immediately apply for a national healthcare card to enjoy the benefits. You may have to wait up to three months to receive it, so make sure you are privately insured in the meantime.
Read our full guide to healthcare in Canada for more information.
How to transfer money from the U.K to Canada
Before you can transfer money to Canada, you will need a Canadian bank account. You can search online for the best option for you. Once you open your Canadian bank account you can transfer the money from your U.K account. There are helpful money transfer services that can do this for you.
Can you import your car into Canada?
Most cars that are sold in countries other than the United States cannot be imported into Canada. However, some special circumstances allow you to bring certain vehicles into Canada. They are as followed:
- It is 15 years old or older
- The vehicle is a bus manufactured before January 1, 1971
- The car is non-regulated
- The vehicle meets all Canadian standards
- The car is a returning Canadian specification vehicle.
Working in Canada
The unemployment rate at the moment is the lowest it’s been in four decades, which has resulted in high amounts of expats being able to find employment when moving to Canada. If you can speak both French and English, you will find it considerably easier to get a job, especially in areas like Quebec. Nevertheless, employers will expect a high level of education more than anything.
It can be hard to find jobs somewhere that it so far away from the UK. So, here is a list of some of the best job search websites:
You can find more information on our working in Canada page.
We hope that you have found this page informative and have learned a thing or two about how to move to Canada. If you are interested in looking further, these pages may be of interest to you: