Moving House Checklist for a Stress-Free Move 2019
Follow our step-by-step guide below to make your move easier. Click on the button below to download the moving house checklist as a PDF file:
Two Months Before
- Research the new area you’re moving to
- Estimate the volume of your move in order to calculate the moving costs.
- Make a full inventory for your belongings.
- Obtain original copies of important documents, such as passports, driving licences and birth certificates.
- Get a conveyancing solicitor
- Arrange your mortgage
- Investigate schools in the new location
- Inform your children’s school and request school reports
- Look into storage costs
- Confirm moving date with landlord, if renting
- Decide if you want to outsource assembly and disassembly
- Check your insurance policy
- Get rid of your unwanted possessions such as furniture
- Collect packaging materials
- Request removal quotes
- Pick your removal company – check out our moving company reviews or go on Trust Pilot
One Month Before
- Speak to your solicitor before exchanging contracts and finalise the moving date
- Insure your move
- Find storage facilities if required and not offered by your removal company
- Organise to have your house cleaned before you move in
- Order furnishings for your new home and book carpet fitters if any carpets need replacing
- Pack non-essential items from each room
- Clear out your loft and shed
- Arrange to see your doctor and dentist to let them know you’re leaving their practice and to obtain any medical records
- Notify relevant utility companies that you’re moving, switch home insurance to your new home.
- Notify the post office and local government of change of address
One Week Before
- Confirm booking details with your removal company
- Arrange for child and pet care for your moving day
- Cancel local services e.g. newspaper, milk delivery
- Put important items and documents in a plain, sturdy box for safe keeping
- Finish as much packing as possible
- Label moving boxes to help the movers know which room they belong in
- Gather keys for your current house
- Remember to gather all important documents for your move, such as your passport and your birth certificate
- Have a final check in every room
- Make sure you have a bag packed for the first few days of your move
- Make sure your neighbours know that you’re moving
- Place important documents in an easy accessible place if you need them whilst travelling
- Defrost the freezer and clean well
- Arrange parking for the removal company when they arrive
- Have all your furniture prepped and boxes packed and ready to go before your movers arrive
- Double check all rooms that you haven’t left anything behind
- Verify delivery plans when your removal company comes to pick up your belongings
- Take inventory, make sure that the moving company doesn’t forget any of your belongings. They will have made a survey beforehand, so they should know how much to expect to move.
- Last minute: turn off the power, drain/turn off the water supply, lock up and hand over the keys to your estate agents
After Your Move
- Try to arrive before the removalists
- Plug in the fridge, freezer, telephones and other large appliances
- Check the water and gas meters
- If you have older children, it might be a good idea to let them sort out their new room. It will give them something to do and help them feel at home.
- Check whether any damage occurred during the moving process. If so, ensure your moving company is informed.
- Find a new doctor and dentist.
- Call your removalists to arrange pick up of empty boxes
- Talk to your new neighbours – inviting your new neighbours for a coffee will help you settle in and get to know who you’re living next to!
- Write a review of your experience with your removal company on their profile.
We hope that you have found this moving house checklist helpful and feel more at ease on how to organise your move. If you would like more information and advice, you may be interested in these pages on Sirelo:
- Moving Abroad Tips: Our top moving house tips for your international move!
- Top International Movers: Find out the best moving companies for your international move
We hope that your move is a success!