Removal Costs: Moving Prices within the UK (2018)
On this page, you can find essential information regarding the removal costs for a move within the UK. If you are moving abroad, you can find some useful advice for calculating the cost of an international move.
The main factors you need to take into account when moving locally is the volume and the city of origin. In order for removal companies to provide you with a fair price, make sure you calculate the volume of your furniture. Below you can see the average removal costs of a move within the most popular cities for a 1, 2 and 3 bedroom house.
|1 Bed||2 Bed||3 Bed|
|London||£330 – £400||£410 – £550||£580 – £700|
|Manchester||£320 – £400||£410 – £530||£535 – £660|
|Birmingham||£325 – £400||£410 – £540||£550 – £650|
|Newcastle||£300 – £370||£375 – £465||£470 – £650|
|Glasgow||£330 – £400||£410 – £535||£540 -£640|
|Cardiff||£300 – £360||£365 – £460||£465 – £640|
For a 4 bedroom house, the average price ranges from £650 to £1000.
As well as the volume and distance, there are a number of additional factors that can affect the price of a move within the UK:
- Ease of Access – Is your home located on a busy street? Can removal vans park outside? If the movers have difficulty accessing your home, they may charge extra due to this inconvenience.
- 2 Hour Minimum – Removal companies usually charge a two hour minimum. This is to help them stay protected from wasting resources on moves that are too small.
- Man and Van – If you need help with lifting heavy pieces of furniture, a man and van service is for you. Prices range from £50 – £60 per hour for two removal men and a van.
- Time of the Move – If you are moving home during the peak season (May – September), in the holidays or on the weekend, removal costs will be higher. This is due to an increase in demand in moving companies.
- Special Care – If you have a unique piece of furniture that requires special care, like a piano or antique furniture, the costs will increase.
- Additional services – If you need help with things like packing and assembly, or just require storage, a lot removal companies will offer this extra services. However, it will increase the total cost of your move. If you don’t want the removal company to pack your things, have a look at these handy tips that could make your move that little bit easier.
When moving to a different city, the elements that go into calculating the removal costs are similar to that of a local move. However, the distance is far more important. The tables below present the price of moving to a number of popular cities with furniture from a 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom house.
Removal Costs from London
Removal Costs from Manchester
Removal Costs from Birmingham
Removal Costs from Newcastle
Removal Costs from Glasgow
Removal Costs from Cardiff
Note on Data: Please remember, the prices shown are only an estimate and do not include extra services that you may require when moving home.
Removal costs to Northern Ireland
Moving from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland is slightly different due to the fact that you need to cross the Irish Sea. Cost estimates differ depending on whether you ship your belongings in a container or if you get a ferry from the UK mainland to Ireland. When moving abroad via a ferry the costs above still apply, however there are often extra costs involved. The ferry price ranges significantly based on a number of factors such as the size of the van you take, how early you book and the season. We recommend that you look a ferry price comparison website to get a more accurate idea of how much you can expect to pay.
Other things to consider
As well as removal costs, there are other services that you will need when moving home: