Moving to Australia
We believe that moving to Australia from the UK should be exciting, not stressful! That is why we want to help you prepare well, so your move goes as smooth as possible! On this page, you can discover the important information, checklist and costs you need to know for a successful move.
How much does it cost to move to Australia from the UK?
|1 bed flat||9-12 weeks||£3,000-£4,200|
|3 bed house||6-9 weeks||£6,900-£9,500|
|5 bed house||6-9 weeks||£10,700-£14,400|
First things first, you need to have a good idea of what this move will cost you. The cost of moving to Australia can vary greatly, mainly because of the 3 million square miles between the east and west coast. Above, you can see the average cost of shipping a one, three and five-bedroom household from London to Perth by sea.
These prices are all estimates and vary according to the distance, volume, and other international moving costs. If you would like a more precise estimate of your removal cost, you can fill out our simple quote form.
A big portion of your moving costs will be due to your container shipping costs. If you understand these costs then you could potentially save a lot of money on your move.
If you’re interested in trying to make your move as less expensive as possible, read our cheap removals blog for some tips and tricks.
Visas for Australia from the UK
Moving to Australia from the UK comes with a few hurdles. If you want to live there, you are required to have a valid visa in order to enter the country. This is an essential step when moving to Australia, so it’s very important to make sure you have the right visa! Aside from the short-stay visas, the most popular work visas are:
- Temporary work (skilled).
- Visa (subclass 457).
- Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189).
Visit our visas for Australia page to find more information about visas intended for a long-term residency in Australia.
Moving to Australia Checklist
Moving home can seem like a big and daunting project. It can often seem difficult to form a clear plan in your mind. That is why we would like to suggest a general checklist to help you move to Australia from the UK.
1. Before your move
- Organise all the important documents you need for your move. Will your passport be valid when you plan to move? Do you have all the required visas?
- Contact removal companies about your move. You can receive up to 5 free quotes with us by filling our easy quote form. To give moving companies a clearer picture for your move, feel free to determine the size of your move by using our removal volume calculator.
- Pack your belongings. Once you have organised a removal with a company, you need to pack for your move. Sometimes times the company may do this for you. However, if you are choosing to pack yourself, be sure to read our packing tips.
- If you are leaving the UK, then you need to inform HMRC for tax purposes.
2. Once you arrive
- Set up a local bank account. You may need to have a local bank account if you want to use particular services in Australia.
- Once your bank account is set up, you may want to transfer money from any UK accounts. We have found that torfx is an excellent service to transfer money with.
- Organise your healthcare in Australia as soon as possible. See more information below.
To be completely prepared for your move, be sure to check out our moving abroad checklist!
Moving to Australia Tips
Moving to Australia from the UK can seem a little daunting! If you would like some tips, visit our moving abroad page to discover the 34 essential things to prepare before moving abroad. Otherwise, read on for our top tips!
Healthcare in Australia
Thanks to their government and private funding, Australians have access to a comprehensive range of services. However, if you have a student visa or are working there temporarily, you will not have access to their Medicare. Therefore, you need to have private medical insurance with your visa.
If you are living in Australia permanently, you will have to register with Medicare. However, Medicare does not cover all areas of healthcare, for example, dental care, where extra insurance must be taken out.
You can find more information here:
Moving your pets to Australia
Currently only dogs, cats and horses may be imported from the UK and only when strict conditions are met. The animal should have a passport that includes the following information:
- Vaccinations: If your pet needs to be vaccinated again, this must be done at least three weeks before entering Australia.
- Data about the health of the animal.
- Information on legalization, so that the pet can be transported outside the EU.
Banned items when moving to Australia
Australia is known to have strict import rules. Before you consider bringing anything over with you, make sure you understand what items are banned, as well as the heavy taxes that may come with importing goods. Some examples of items that are banned include flowers, furs of animals and teas. For more information, have a look at the Australian Government page on imports and exports.
Transporting your car to Australia
If you want to transport your car to Australia, you can only do this when it is in your possession for at least a year. Also, you will need an import permit to be allowed entry. If you’re moving to Australia and can’t bear to leave your car behind, we recommend that it is done by a moving company as they will have experience and knowledge on the specific requirements.
For more details, visit this page for the formalities of transporting a car to Australia.
We hope that you have found this page informative and that it helps you move from the UK to Australia smoothly. If you would like to read up on some more of our pages for more moving tips, these pages may be of interest to you: