Looking For A Mover?
Get 5 Quotes In Just 3 Easy Steps
Network of 500+ movers
150,000 moves annually

Visas for Australia

Featured image

Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a valid Australian visa to enter the country. Accordingly, expats and people moving to Australia from the United Kingdom require a visa to stay in Australia. There are different types of visas that a UK passport holder can and may apply for. The descriptions of the visas below are only a summary of a few popular types of visas that UK passport holders can apply for. The visas for Australia described below are subject to further requirements and limitations. Moreover, many other variations of these visas exist.

Work visas for Australia

One of the visas UK passport holders may be eligible for is the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457), which has been mentioned on our page about moving to Australia as one of the most popular working visas to apply for. This visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years. The second work visa variation is the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) is geared to skilled workers who are in high demand and do not require a state or family sponsor. The visa allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. 

Moving to Australia- Visas for AustraliaThe Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) is equally a visa granting permanent residence for skilled workers. However, visa allows you to work in Australia under one of three streams: the Temporary Residence, Transition stream or the Direct Entry stream. Moreover, Age and language restrictions apply to this visa unless exempt. Young people who want to holiday and work in Australia, for example during a gap year, the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) grants this opportunity for up to a year.

The following visas for Australia allow a UK passport holder to work and live in Australia but requires a nomination by state, territory government agency or the Australian government.

  • Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Visa (subclass 188)
  • Follow-up of the first visa is Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) Visa (subclass 888)
  • Business Talent (Permanent) Visa (subclass 132) 
Visa secured? Check out our guide and master costs, checklists and more

Other long-term visas for Australia

There are also visas accessible to UK passport holders who wish to (re)join partners or relatives in Australia. Some visas require a follow-up visa permitting the immigrant a permanent stay in Australia.

The spouse or partner of an Australian citizen can apply for the Partner (Provisional) Visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) Visa (subclass 100). Students who intend to live in Australia for their study may be eligible for the Student Visa (subclass 500), which permits Students to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution.

Types of visas the relatives of Australia residents or citizens can apply for are as follows.

  • The Aged Dependent Relative Visa (subclass 114) (At least 65 years old).
  • Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 173) and the follow-up Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143).
  • The Carer Visa (subclass 116) (Moving to Australia to care or help care for someone with long term/permanent medical condition).

In the spotlight


Sort Out My Visa

Looking for more information to guide you through the moving process? If so, we recommend that you take a look at the pages we have linked for you below. 🙂